Recipe adapted from Good Housekeepings Test Kitchen Cookbook
Makes 8 servings
What you will need:
- 12 slices bread ( I used soft white bread, but firm is fine too. You can also use other types of bread. I think that would be quite delish.)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
- powdered sugar to taste (About 3 Tbs. was good for me. But it depends on how sweet you like things.)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract.
- 1+1/2 cup berries (optional)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tbs. butter softened
- 1 Tbs. Maple Syrup
1. Arrange bread slices in an a 9x13in baking pan. You may have to cut some in half, that is ok. Only do one layer.
2. In a mixer, mix cream cheese until creamy. Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Spread the cream cheese mixture on the layer of bread in the pan. I did not use all the cream cheese, but it depends on how rich you want it.
3. Put the berries on top of the cream cheese and put the rest of the bread slices on top. So you have bread layer, cream cheese layer, berries layer (or nuts, or none), and then another bread layer.
4. In a mixer, combine eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix until smooth and combined. Slowly pour egg mixture over bread slices. You may need to press bread down to absorb liquid, and spoon egg mixture over uncovered bread. Cover and refrigerate over night.
5. Preheat oven to 350'F. In a small bowl, stir brown sugar, butter, and maple syrup until combined. Spread evenly over each stack of bread. Bake until knife inserted 1in from center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let stand 15 min before serving. Enjoy!